Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What's up PCR reaction that finally worked!?

BAM! LOOK AT THOSE BANDS!

Three PCR reactions, three beautiful bands. Looks like digesting the insert and then amplifying it really did the trick. This means I can use my PCR reaction to transform some bacteria!

The idea is to insert our PCR reaction into a plasmid vector, which we then transform into E. coli. We do this via heat shock, which causes the bacteria cells to take up plasmids. We then will grow the E. coli, conduct a plasmid prep to collect all of the plasmids they grew, and then I will perform another digest to recut out the terminator region (the PCR product). This way, I can be sure the restriction sites were correctly added onto the terminator region, which I need in order to insert it into the rest of the plasmid I already have.

I'm transforming the cells as I write this, and will be back soon to give updates. Yay science!

No comments:

Post a Comment