Monday, June 20, 2011

Sometimes science isn't linear (and I'm not talking about exponential growth)

Sometimes science (my project) isn't linear, and I've been getting caught up in this recently with my posting.

I wanted to do a series of posts and videos on the process of transformation and the completion of my first NiR plasmid, but what I found was that sometimes things don't work out the way you want.

So, let me backtrack a bit.

As I mentioned before, it appears I have transformed bacteria colonies that have my PCR insert. Great! But I've been having trouble getting the insert to amplify out of the plasmid once again. I grew up several bacteria colonies that looked like they had my insert (white colonies on X-gal) and performed a plasmid prep that yielded very little plasmid DNA. I need a decent amount of this plasmid to allow me to digest (cut) out and obtain the insert.

Now, I'm trying to do yet another PCR reaction in a much larger volume (50µl rather than 10-20µl) using the plasmids I obtained from my lame plasmid prep. If this works, I'll have a lot of copies of the NiR terminator insert, which I can then slice off the ends with restriction enzymes. Then, the insert would be ready for the next step.

That is, if I can get this to work. :-\

No comments:

Post a Comment