Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Back to Science

While most of my semester was dominated by finishing up my undergraduate courses, I did get a little bit of work done on my "Monitoring in vivo transcription in the marine diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana using eGFP reporter plasmids" project. Most of my work can be summed up through my post on working on the culture side of the transformational protocol (another post here), setting up media for the transformation protocol, and working on my Academic Spree Day poster and a proposal for my summer work on my 5th year Master's project.

I've had really good success on multiple science projects by putting a lot of effort working on a poster or Powerpoint presentation and then writing my term paper for the project. Below is the final draft of my poster (which I hope to hang up outside of the lab later today), which I presented at Academic Spree Day (ASD).

I had a lot of fun at this year's ASD presenting and sharing my work with science (and non-science) professors and classmates. It was particularly satisfying sharing my poster with fellow science (but non-biology) students, and then going over their posters with them. Certainly a little bit of sharing and learning!

This poster then was the basis for updating my project proposal:


This week is my first week after graduating on Sunday. The name of the game for this week is to get back into the flow of things in lab, and hopefully establish a workable rhythm. At the moment, I'm continuing to work on creating inducible expression plasmids for nitrite reductase.

No comments:

Post a Comment