Tuesday, February 7, 2012

New primers and real-time PCR

I've received my new primers and already run a couple different reactions with some results that prove to be promising and others that are frustrating.

Yeah, encouraging :]
The first thing to do with a new set of primers is to run them in a normal PCR reaction to see if the primers amplify the correct length of DNA. While I could do this with my super concentrated, ultra clean plasmid DNA that I used to transform my diatoms (which would serve as the ultimate positive control), I decided to be be bold and try to amplify my complimentary DNA (cDNA) samples. This cDNA was made from mRNA that was extracted from diatom cells exposed to different environmental conditions. Because the mRNA we're looking for contains GFP, anything that is amplified essentially means that our plasmid DNA that we transformed into this line of diatoms is being expressed, which is a great, great thing.

So I ran this PCR reaction with my new primers to amplify my cDNA and this is the gel I got:

There are some pretty convincing bands in that gel which is really encouraging. It appears that all but two of my reactions (6 out of 8) gave us at least some PCR product.

Nicccccce :D
I then ran a real-time PCR reaction called a standard curve, where the source DNA is serially diluted ten fold (I ran 1:1 through 1:10,000 dilutions). For this reaction, I do go ahead and use the plasmid DNA control to give us the cleanest results possible. This reaction allows us to see how efficient the primers are at doubling the amount of DNA product at each PCR cycle.

You can see in this gel (in the first 5 lanes) that a lot of PCR product is being produced. Each reaction hit their saturation point which is why each reaction looks the same even though they had drastically different amounts of starting DNA template. The great this about real-time PCR is that we can see on the computer screen how each reaction was amplified in real time, and see where each reaction it a ceiling amount of DNA. In this reaction I could see that even the 1:10,000 dilution easily hit this ceiling before the 40th (and final) cycle.

With these two encouraging results--the proper amplification using my new primers in a standard PCR reaction and strong amplification in my standard curve using plasmid DNA--I went ahead and tried amplifying my cDNA in a real-time PCR reaction.

Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem I've been having for a few weeks now (see the bottom half of this post).

Sad face real-time PCR :[
Not all of my reactions amplified, and those that did didn't amplify as cleanly as I wanted them to. I ran a gel of my second real-time PCR reaction, which visualizes the two amplified reactions (lanes 3 and 6 starting from the top).

While this is certainly a set back, I have a couple of things I'm going to try. Most importantly, I've ordered a new kit to run the real-time PCR reactions, since the kit I was using was "old." Next, there are a few things I can do to ensure my reactions are as balanced and clean as possible. Finally, I'm going to drop the annealing temperature of my real-time PCR. While I was using the same annealing temperature from my standard PCR, there are two main things that differ between my standard and real-time PCR reactions. First, the salt concentrations are most likely different (although that's a bit annoying to look up, but it's on my to do list), which I found out while screening my diatoms can really screw up a PCR reaction. Second, I used the mysterious "Q-solution" provided by the company Qiagen in their PCR kit when setting up my standard PCR reactions. This may also have significantly changed my standard PCR reaction. While the real-time PCR reaction really should be working with my current set up, it's very possible that my primers are finding it difficult to "seek out" and bind to the sparse cDNA that I want them to amplify.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the informative article on RealTime PCTR and Assay Development work. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete